Children who participate in physical activity and sport also have better focus in class, improved concentration, and longer-term memory.
Sport helps build friendships, develop time management and organisational skills and leads to a well-rounded student.
That’s why we focus so heavily on physical activity from an early age at St John’s Anglican College, from high participation levels for all students right through to high-achieving athletes at international level such as former student and track star Trae Williams.
Sports for all ages
Our equal-opportunity Sports Program begins in Prep with your child/children being assessed in our advanced Perceptual Motor Program for basic skills such as balance, crawling and ball handling.
From Year four, students begin our formal Sports Program to build resilience, teamwork and a healthy attitude toward sporting competition.
Students have the opportunity of playing Saturday sport with students from like-minded schools in The Associated Schools (TAS) and Junior TAS inter-school sports, encouraging healthy inter-school competition, team work and good sportsmanship.
We also host and participate in Swimming, Athletics and Cross Country carnivals.
We are employing more state-level coaches and developing a head coach system to oversee all coaching staff. This will provide a consistent coaching strategy, allowing students in early years to work toward a sporting goal over several years.
Students are actively inspired and motivated by regular guest appearances at coaching events by their idols, such as players from the Firebirds championship netballers and the Brisbane Heat cricket team.
We pride ourselves on our well-groomed playing fields, large undercover sporting area and our state-of-the-art Gym complete with rowing machines, exercise bikes, yoga area, cross trainers, and free weights available to all students.
The nearby lake is used for kayaking and other water activities while we are also developing a strong relationship with the West Brisbane Aquatic Club local swim club.
You can stay in touch with our sporting program, results and draws through the lively St John’s Anglican College Sports Facebook Page.
Some of the major events and milestones from 2015/2016 include:
- Introduction of an inaugural High Performance Swimming Program
- St John’s third year of inclusion in the top tier of TAS
- Percentage Cup in TAS Track and Field
- Increased participation and success of teams across the year
- TAS Premierships for Year 7 Boys Volleyball, Year 8 Boys Volleyball, Year 10 Girls Tennis and Year 10 Boys Rugby
- A high number of Record Breakers across the Carnivals
- Students (Old Collegians) and current students earning International honours
- Great support from the Supporters of Sport (SoS) P&F committee with their fundraising for a range of Capital Improvements and programs. These have included the Oval Tiered Seating, Dome Score Boards, Cricket Practice Net Wickets, Oval Scoreboards and donations towards the Sports Awards Dinner and Clinics.
Training & Games