Home Boarding Program
St John’s has been operating a homestay program for over 20 years and has established a network of trusted families. Home boarding is offered with a local homestay family ensuring easy access to the College by foot, car, or a St John’s bus.
Home Boarding families are carefully screened and are either a St John’s family or a family within the community. All our home boarding families provide a supportive and caring environment for students, offering a home away from home.
Screening of Home Boarding Families
When selecting and screening a prospective home boarding family, St John’s ensure compliance with Queensland Government Blue Card Services and that the home boarding provider can care for the student in a safe and secure environment. This includes the provision of age-appropriate support and supervision for a child or adolescent attending school and adjusting to living in a new environment.
To be considered for selection in the St John’s Home Boarding program, all prospective families must agree to uphold the provisions of the Student Protection in Anglican Schools Policy, Queensland Government Blue Card Services and adhere to St John’s procedures and guidelines. St John’s will ensure when selecting a home boarding family that they:
- are carefully selected from within the St John’s community, wherever possible
- have undergone appropriate screening including a ‘Working with Children’ check as required by Queensland legislation
- are interviewed and assessed using the Homestay Selection and Screening Procedure by St John’s Student Accommodation Coordinator,
- receive a comprehensive ‘Home Boarding Information Pack’ including the ‘St John’s Home Boarding Handbook’
- can provide home boarding students with suitable accommodation and a stable environment
- are aware of, and can effectively manage potential risks associated with activities undertaken by home boarding students
- agree to provide access to appropriate transport to and from St John’s and College-related activities
- live within 30-40 minutes travel time to St John’s
- agree to the St John’s ‘Code of Conduct’ and Student Protection in Anglican Schools Policy and associated procedures.
What to expect from your Home Boarding family?
- Your own bedroom, which includes a bed, desk, wardrobe and study lamp.
- Three meals a day provided by the home boarding family (breakfast, packed lunch and dinner).
- All home boarding families live within walking distance, are on bus routes or can arrange suitable transportation for their student to get to and from St John’s including extra-curriculum activities.
- Home boarding families are visited regularly by St John’s Student Accommodation Coordinator to ensure that standards are adhered to and that student is happy in their new environment.
- A warm and supportive family environment.
Contact St John’s Home Boarding
Student Accommodation Coordinator | Kylie Brunell
P: 07 3372 0175