Homestay accommodation with a local family, allowing easy access to St John’s, is required for all international students. Homestay families may be relatives of the student, or families carefully screened and approved by St John’s. Our homestay families provide a supportive and caring environment for students as they treat them as part of the family.
St John’s carefully select homestay families, to ensure the students are given the best possible opportunity to understand the Australian way of life and to practice their English.
Our International College employs a Homestay Coordinator who ensures that:
- Each long-term student has his/her own room, which includes a bed, desk, wardrobe and study lamp.
- Three meals a day are provided by the homestay family (breakfast, packed lunch and dinner).
- Homestay families are visited regularly to ensure that standards are adhered to and that students feel welcome and happy.
- All homestay families live within walking distance, are on bus routes or can arrange suitable transportation for their student to get to and from the College. All homestay families must live within 30-40 minutes travel time to St John’s.
- All homestay families have received a security clearance from the Queensland Government.
Families are selected because of their ability to provide a stable, safe and caring environment for all students. Families who have children attending St John’s Anglican College are given priority to host international students.
Prior to arrival, all students are provided with full details of their Australian homestay family, to help them understand their new environment. Students arriving from overseas are welcomed at Brisbane International Airport and greeted by their homestay families.
Homestay Selection and Screening Procedure
Homestay Training Procedure
Accommodation and Welfare 2019
Homestay Code of Conduct 2019
Safeguarding Our Students – Student Protection Policy Procedures Guide
Homestay Guidelines for Long Term Students
Insurance Guidelines for Homestay Families
Apply to be a Homestay Family
We warmly welcome new homestay families to our St John’s community. If you are interested in becoming a homestay family please download, review and complete the below: